Friday, October 08, 2010

Cousins

I posted recently that I was in FL for my Grandfather's funeral. It was a special time. I am sad to say that I don't get to see my FL family as often as I should, or want to. But, I will say, we are a uniquely loyal family. Everyone comes out of the woodwork for funerals. Sadly, we have had several over the past few years. I am thankful though, even when we gather for sad events, we take full advantage of the opportunity to enjoy each other while we are together. Between the tears there are many, many smiles and uninhibited laughs.
There are 11 of us grandchildren. We are surprisingly close for living so far apart and not really growing up together. Well, everyone grew up together, except my immediate family. But, despite the distance, we have spent several Christmas mornings together shooting-it-out during our annual Nerf BB gun wars, shared meals at our Baba and Dada's home and watched many movies piled onto their bed.
Now that we are adults we appreciate the family ties so much more. There is something so very special about family. I love my cousins in a way I can't really describe. I love that I knew them before their spouses and girlfriends, before they had babies and before they stopped placing a measuring mark on Baba and Dada's door frame every time the visited. These people are a part of me. I love family.

No comments: